INCLUDES HEARING AND BALANCE
Instant online appointment
5 surprising problems ENTs can treat
ultimate guide to finding best ent doctor
5 Reasons to choose the miami ent doctors
Speak With An ENT About Your Ears Today
The eyes are said to be the windows into ones soul; however, the ears are the gateway to optimum physical health. A health care professional is able to tell a lot about what is going on by the health of the ear. Our ears hold the answers regarding many physical ailments.
The ear is a very sensitive, yet advanced organ of the human body. Its main function is to transmit sound to the brain. The three major parts of the ear are the outer ear, the middle ear, and the inner ear. All parts of the ear help in the hearing process. Sound comes in through the outer ear and vibrates through the middle ear. This vibration continues traveling to the inner ear, where nerve impulses send messages to the brain. The inner ear is also the area that controls our balance. Excess water buildup or an infection can affect the inner ear and cause dizziness.
A few things you may not know about ears:
- They are always working, even while you sleep. Although your ears can never be turned off, your brain does not process the sound in the same manner that it does while you are awake.
- The smallest bones in your body are in your ears.
- Earlobes never stop growing.
- Ears help with taste. Of course you don’t eat with your ears, but they do play a role in transmitting taste signals to the brain. It is for this reason, that taste and flavor can be affected if there is a problem with your ears.
- The human ear can hear frequencies as low as 20 Hertz (Hz), and as high as 20,000Hz.
The inner ear, known as the cochlea, is the size of a pea and shaped like a snails shell. If it could be straightened, it would be a 31.5 mm long tiny tube.